The Governor's House Inn, also known as the Laurens-Rutledge House, was built in 1760 by James Laurens in the Georgian style, and sits on nearly 1/2 an acre just outside the original walled city, on the site of the former Charleston Orange Garden. Though it has been altered and added onto since construction, this grand double house boasting Greek Revival wrap around piazzas is a Category 3 House and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places for it's association with Edward Rutledge, signer of the Declaration of Independence, who purchased the home in 1788. The mansion and kitchen house is now used as an 11-room historic Inn with an Innkeepers studio, but the city allows for up to 14 guest rooms, or it could easily be converted back into a spectacular single family home. Original details are found throughout including heart of pine floors, detailed moldings, 7 fireplaces, triple hung 9-foot windows, and 12-foot ceilings. The main level of the property includes a grand entry with sitting area, formal dining room, piano room, parlor, a kitchen, reception room, office, powder room, and one guest suite. Take the wooden spiral staircase to find four guest suites, three with sitting rooms, on the second floor. Two guest suites are on the third floor. The ground floor, or "terrace level," has two guest suites as well as a studio apartment with kitchenette and full bathroom for a hotel manager or Innkeeper. Two guest suites with separate sitting rooms can be found in the kitchen house. The large lot includes 14 off-street parking spaces and a beautifully landscaped garden. See agent for details about the licensed Inn.
Listing courtesy of Handsome Properties, Inc..